Texas Instruments' AMC1106 devices are precision, delta-sigma (ΔΣ) modulators with the output separated from the input circuitry by a capacitive isolation barrier that is highly resistant to magnetic interference.
The input stage of the AMC1106 is optimized for direct connection to shunt resistors or other low voltage-level signal sources commonly used in multi-phase electricity meters to achieve excellent AC and DC performance. The device low input voltage range of ±50 mV allows use of small shunt resistor values to minimize power dissipation. Decimate the output bitstream of the AMC1106 with an appropriate digital filter. The MSP430F67x, TMS320F2807x, and TMS320F2837x microcontrollers, and the AMC1210 integrate these digital filters for seamless operation with the AMC1106.
On the high-side, the modulator is supplied by a 3.3 V or 5 V power supply (AVDD). The isolated digital interface operates from a 3 V, 3.3 V, or 5 V power supply (DVDD).
The AMC1106 is specified over the extended industrial temperature range of -40°C to +125°C.
- ±50 mV input voltage range optimized for current measurement with shunt resistors
- Manchester coded or uncoded bitstream options
- Excellent DC performance for high-precision sensing on system level:
- Offset error and drift: ±50 µV, ±1 µV/°C (max.)
- Gain error and drift: ±0.2%, ±40 ppm/°C (max.)
- 3.3 V operation for reduced power dissipation on both sides of the isolation barrier
- System-level diagnostic features
- High electromagnetic field immunity
- Safety-related certifications:
- 5657 VPK basic isolation per DIN V VDE V 0884-11 (VDE V 0884-11): 2017-01
- 4000 VRMS isolation for 1 minute per UL1577
- CAN/CSA No. 5A-component acceptance service notice, IEC 60950-1, and IEC 60065 end equipment standards
- Shunt-resistor-based current sensing in 3-phase electricity meters